With Star Riverside Park, Sol Invictus Vineyard, River Birch Golf Course, and more, Star, Idaho has a vast and diverse ecosystem. It is this ecosystem that draws nature lovers to the area to live and work, and there is much here for them to enjoy. While that ecosystem is home to beautiful and amazing wildlife, there are many pests here that residents would like to keep at arm’s length.
Star is home to many different types of pests that can be anything from annoying, to quite dangerous, both for a person’s health and their home. If you have seen pests in your home, your first inclination is likely to try and get rid of them as soon as possible, by any means. The only real way to get rid of these creatures once and for all, though, is to speak to a professional Star pest control company. Below, our pest experts outline the most common pests we can help you deal with when you see them around your home.
7 MOST COMMON PESTS IN STAR, ID HOUSEHOLDS
Just because a pest is considered common does not mean they do not pose a risk. In Star, there are some pests that are more common than others. If you are dealing with any of the below pests, it is important to speak to a professional that can get rid of them so your home can become the safe place it should be.
- Ants: Star is home to a variety of ant species, some of which can be destructive to our homes or carry dangerous pathogens. The majority of species that dwell near homes in Star are harmless, though they can be annoying to deal with. Unbeknown to most, ant colonies generally have multiple areas they occupy; making it hard to remove them in their entirety.
- Termites: Termites cause approximately $5 billion worth of damage every year to homes throughout the country, and many of them live right here in Star. Contrary to what many people think, termites do not eat wood but instead, they chew through it searching for the cellulose inside, which they do eat. Still, termites are extremely destructive. They will not only chew through the wood in your home, but also cardboard, firewood, and anything they can find that may contain glucose.
- Stinging insects: Stinging insects such as wasps and hornets will deliver a sting that is very painful and may even make a person feel nauseous, tired, and generally unwell afterward. Star is home to a variety of stinging insects; primarily consisting of bees, wasps, and hornets. The nests of stinging insects should never be removed on your own. A professional pest control company will know how to remove the nest, and the stinging insects that once lived inside.
- Fleas: If you have been noticing itchy bumps on your arms, legs, and other areas of the body, you may at first wonder where they are coming from. If you have a pet and have noticed that they have been scratching a lot more lately, there is a good chance you have fleas. The climate in Star, ID can be ideal for fleas at certain times of the year, so getting rid of them can be extremely tedious. The first step in flea control is to take your pet to the vet for treatment. Your next step should be to contact a professional pest control company that can apply the necessary treatment that will get the fleas out so you and your pet can be happy and healthy once again.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are one type of pest homeowners fear most. They are very dirty, carry many diseases, and are often a sign of unsanitary conditions. Once they have made their way into a home, they are very hard to eradicate. This is because these pests are extremely hardy. The most common species you will find in Star are the German and Brown-banded cockroach. If you need help getting rid of cockroaches, call a pest control company in Star before they spread.
- Spiders: The majority of spider species in Star are not harmful, but it is home to a few poisonous species. The most common of them is the black widow. Black widows are fairly easy to identify due to the red hourglass shape on their backs. They aren’t typically aggressive and can be found in dimly lit areas, in basements, and corners. Other venomous species such as the Hobo Spiders and Yellow Sac spiders can also be found in the area, but generally are considered to be outdoor species.
- Bed bugs: Despite the fun saying that you should not “let the bedbugs bite,” it becomes extremely problematic when they do. Bed bugs can come from anywhere, as they are notoriously known as hitchhikers. You may bring them home after you have traveled and stayed in a hotel, or that secondhand furniture or clothing you purchased may be carrying them. Either way, just as it is widely known how bed bugs can travel from place to place, it is just as well-known how difficult they are to get rid of. If you have a bed bug infestation, it is advisable to contact a pest control company in Star.
Rodents In Star
There are many different species of rodents in the world but the two that cause the most trouble for homeowners are mice and rats. Both types of rodents carry many different diseases, and can cause major property damage. They will pull up siding, gnaw through wires, and even pull apart insulation and other parts of a home when building their nests.
We typically see the common house mouse and rats cause issues for property owners in Star. Several other types of rodents do dwell in the area, but generally are harmless to people or homes.
If you have seen one mouse or rat around your home, you probably already have an infestation. A Star pest control professional can identify how the rodents are making their way into your home and get rid of the ones that have already made their way inside.
Residential & Commercial Pest Control in Star, ID
No matter the problem you are dealing with, our Star pest control professionals at Barrier Pest Control are here to help. Call us today at 208-463-4533 or contact us online.
Our Customers Love Us! See What They Are Saying.
I recently decided to use Barrier Lawn and Pest services as I became acquainted with their services through my place of work. The initial contact with Mike Dean was personable and informative. Scheduling of the service was also very accommodating as I was not given a 2-4 hour window as I had experienced with other companies. The technician arrived on time and reviewed the service with my wife before beginning. Upon completion, my wife was given the company's contact information in case we had any future questions. This experience was very pleasant and we would recommend Barrier's services to any friend or neighbor.View All Testimonials
This Month's Featured Pest
Over 30? No, not age; that’s how many diseases mice are known to carry or spread through bites & saliva, urine & feces, and even general handling. LCM (Meningitis), Tularemia, HPS (Hantavirus) & Salmonella are some of the worst. …and this isn’t even touching on the multitude of issues caused by mice-hitchhikers like mites, fleas, and ticks…like the various types of Plagues (Septicemic, Pneumonic & Bubonic). However, when we said over 30, it could be as high as 200. Oh, did you also want to know about a mouse’s lifespan? The answer is generally from 5 months to 2 years, depending on their living environment. House mice may be the most common mammal in America, and you’ll usually find them looking to enter your house between October & February. All this being said, though, they can be pretty cute.More Pests
Give Us A Shot!
Because of who we are, our history, our commitment to the future, our guarantee, and the specific standards that we hold ourselves to, we are confident that you will want to do business with us. Give us a call at (208) 463-4533 to request a quote! We are open Monday through Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Service Area (Southwest Idaho)
Our pest control services are also available in Boise, Garden City, Eagle, Emmett, Meridian, Kuna, Nampa, Melba, Middleton, Star, Marsing, Homedale, Caldwell and Mountain Home.