Middleton is one of the smallest cities in Idaho, but its beauty is limitless. With green space just about everywhere you turn, and many different farms and parks, it is clear that Middleton is a great place for nature lovers. Unfortunately, with the foliage and the wildlife that make up the ecosystem here, there are also many different types of pests.
Termites, cockroaches, bed bugs, and mosquitoes are just a few of these. Pests are not only a nuisance, but they can also be very dangerous once they start sharing a space with humans. Below, our Middleton pest control expert outlines the most common types of pests in the city, and why it is important to get rid of them as soon as possible.
WHAT PESTS ARE COMMON IN MIDDLETON, ID?
There are a number of different pests in Middleton, and they come in all different shapes and sizes. Some of the most common pests in this area are as follows:
- Ants: Pavement ants, carpenter ants, and Pharaoh ants are some of the most common ant species in Middleton. Pharaoh ants do not bite or sting, but they do carry salmonella and streptococcus, making them very dangerous. Carpenter ants will also chew through wood as they search for a place to nest.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs take shelter in mattresses, box springs, and other soft furniture. They are generally inactive during the day and come out at night to feed off warm-blooded hosts, which are usually humans. The bites are not harmful to humans, but they are annoyingly itchy and will leave red bumps behind. Just knowing that bed bugs are close by is also enough to make it harder for a person to get a good night’s sleep, which can have harmful effects on a person’s health.
- Fleas and ticks: Ticks are very dangerous, as they can spread Lyme disease to humans and their beloved pets. Fleas are not as harmful, but they can transmit tapeworm to animals and make them very sick.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are known scavengers and once they make their way inside a home, they will quickly take over an area such as a kitchen. Cockroaches survived the Ice Age, which only shows just how difficult they are to get rid of. They can also go weeks without food if they need to, and can even survive without their head.
- Termites: Termite infestations are not common in Middleton, but even just one colony can quickly destroy a home. Termites cause $5 billion worth of damage every year and much of this damage goes unnoticed. Due to the fact that termites largely live within a home’s walls, homeowners do not always detect a problem right away and so, it quickly becomes worse.
- Mosquitoes: Of all the flying insects, mosquitoes are some of the most annoying. They can also breed thousands of other mosquitoes in just a small amount of water. Mosquitoes are more than just a minor annoyance though, as they too, carry a number of diseases. A Middleton pest control company is usually required to handle and eliminate large populations around the home.
- Rodents: Rodents such as mice and rats reproduce extremely quickly. This means that by the time one has scurried out in front of a homeowner, there is likely already an infestation in place. The baits and traps on the market today are not very effective, particularly when they are not used properly. A Middleton pest control company will have the effective resources to eliminate a problem quickly.
The above pests are just a few of the most common in Middleton. A Middleton pest control professional will be able to identify any pest problem, and eliminate it.
THE DANGERS OF UNTREATED PEST INFESTATIONS
Any type of pest is going to be jarring for a homeowner to see in their house. Many of them are very annoying as they sting or bite, but the vast majority of pests also pose a danger to human health. Homeowners do not even have to see pests in order for them to pose this risk.
Pests will always leave droppings throughout a home as they make their way through it. Although all of these droppings are unsightly, those of rats, mice, and other rodents are especially dangerous. Rodent droppings have been shown to irritate asthma symptoms, which makes it very difficult for people to breathe. In some cases, people have even developed asthma after being around and handling rodent droppings.
Cockroaches can also irritate allergies, even once they have died. It is not uncommon for people to wonder why they suddenly suffer from allergies, or why their allergies are flaring up during an unusual season for them. They then learn there are cockroaches in the walls. Prior to their death, cockroaches will generally crawl into the walls of a home where they have shelter and as their body decays, it irritates a person’s allergies inside the home. Termites in the walls can also trigger a person’s allergies, as they create dust when they chew through the wood.
All pests will also travel through some very dirty places. As mosquitoes, bed bugs, ants, mice, and other pests make their way through a space, they will pick up many different types of bacteria and carry it into any home they enter. The bacteria is then spread wherever the pest goes, including the food source within the home.
While the filthy nature of pests poses a risk to human health, other pests pose a danger of a different kind. The black widow spider can deliver a very painful bite that is not usually lethal but that can cause severe muscle contractions. Children and the elderly are most at risk of suffering harmful health effects after a black widow spider bite.
WE CAN HELP YOU WITH YOUR PEST PROBLEM
Regardless of the type of pest you are dealing with, do not try to handle it on your own. At Barrier Pest Control, our Middleton pest control professionals are highly skilled at what they do, and we want to put our experience to work for you. Call us today at 208-463-4533 or contact us online.
Our Customers Love Us! See What They Are Saying.
I recently decided to use Barrier Lawn and Pest services as I became acquainted with their services through my place of work. The initial contact with Mike Dean was personable and informative. Scheduling of the service was also very accommodating as I was not given a 2-4 hour window as I had experienced with other companies. The technician arrived on time and reviewed the service with my wife before beginning. Upon completion, my wife was given the company's contact information in case we had any future questions. This experience was very pleasant and we would recommend Barrier's services to any friend or neighbor.View All Testimonials
This Month's Featured Pest
Against popular belief, Cockroaches are quite common in Idaho. You can find them in homes, restaurants and a multitude of other businesses. In general, they prefer warmer areas, which is why we often find them tucked up under kitchen stoves, dishwashers and refrigerators. But they are also found in cabinets, cupboards, drawers, and pantries. They multiply quickly, producing anywhere between 600-800 eggs per year per one female. They contaminate food supplies which results in thousands of dollars in damage each year, carry diseases, and cause illnesses in those in close contact. Treatment is necessary in order to take care of cockroaches and must be done as soon as you notice activity. If you’re needing help with cockroach control, give Barrier Pest Control a call at 208-463-4533. We’d be happy to help!More Pests
Give Us A Shot!
Because of who we are, our history, our commitment to the future, our guarantee, and the specific standards that we hold ourselves to, we are confident that you will want to do business with us. Give us a call at (208) 463-4533 to request a quote! We are open Monday through Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Service Area (Southwest Idaho)
Our pest control services are also available in Boise, Garden City, Eagle, Emmett, Meridian, Kuna, Nampa, Melba, Middleton, Star, Marsing, Homedale, Caldwell and Mountain Home.