Garden City may not be the biggest city in Idaho, but it certainly is one of the trendiest. There is something here for everyone: a town known for its outstanding live music, brewers, wine tastings, and the rapids along the Boise River. Unfortunately, many pests like to call Garden City home, too, and once they make their way into your home, they can make life unbearable.
TOP 10 MOST COMMON PESTS IN GARDEN CITY, ID
Garden City is home to many pests. The most common of these are:
- Earwigs: Earwigs are attracted to moist areas with decaying plant and wood matter. They can be found just about anywhere in Garden City. While they are generally harmless to humans, earwigs look frightening, with menacing pincers that protrude from their abdomen. Regular treatments are often necessary to keep them away from the area around your home.
- Stinging insects: Seeing a wasp or hornet nest hanging near your home is frightening. Wasps usually create their nests near light fixtures and eaves troughs, both places near doorways. Wasps and hornets will become highly aggressive, particularly when they feel threatened. They can also sting multiple times, leaving a person in immense pain and feeling unwell. Pest control services are commonly called to deal with these insects as they can potentially harm residents.
- Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes pose a significant threat to human health. They carry many diseases they can then transmit to people through just one bite. Zika, malaria, and West Nile virus are just a few of the most common diseases mosquitoes carry. Even when they do not cause someone to become sick, mosquitoes are incredibly annoying, particularly when you have a large population in or around your home. With Garden City’s proximity to the Boise River, mosquitos tend to congregate in the area.
- Ants: It is natural to think that ants are generally harmless while they are a nuisance. Unfortunately, that is not true. Like all other pests, ants are incredibly dirty and carry and transmit fungal and bacterial organisms identified as severe disease pathogens. Carpenter ants also chew through the wood when looking for someone to create a nest, which can damage a home’s structure. Ants can be found anywhere but prefer to live communally with people.
- Fleas and ticks: Ticks can carry and transmit Lyme disease to humans is common knowledge, but people do not realize that fleas can also make an animal very sick. Fleas can transmit tapeworms to dogs; at the very least, they will bite several times as they need the warm-blooded host to feed. As pets scratch excessively, they can suffer from skin loss, inflammation, and scabbing. A vet should see all pets when they have fleas, and the home’s interior has to be treated to eliminate the problem. Anyone who lives in a woody area should also always be on the alert for ticks. With the city’s proximity to water and tall grass, these insects can be found in many areas around Garden City.
- Spiders: No one wants a large population in their home, but some species are more dangerous than others. The black widow spider injects venom when they bite someone, which can harm humans. However, they will only bite when they feel threatened, so people must never handle these alone but instead call a Garden City pest control company that can help.
- Rodents: Rats and mice will do an incredible amount of damage when they make their way into a home and carry many different diseases. When you see even one rodent in the house, an infestation has likely already developed, so it is important to call a professional immediately. While you may not see them, they are very common.
- Termites: Termites cause approximately $5 billion worth of property damage every year. Infestations are rare in Garden City, but they are devastating to the structural integrity of a home when they occur. Termites typically chew through wood, looking for the cellulose inside. An infestation may have set in if you have seen mud tubes outside your home or wings on the windowsills or ground outside your home, particularly during spring.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are incredibly hardy creatures, and once they make their way inside a home, they are also challenging to get rid of. Thankfully, they aren’t very common in the area, but they should still be taken care of professionally. A Garden City pest control company will eliminate any current infestation and determine how cockroaches get inside to ensure they do not return.
- Bed bugs: Bed bugs can enter a home in several ways. One of the main ways they get in is by hitching a ride in luggage after someone has traveled. However, bed bugs hide in secondhand furniture and clothing and enter homes that way. They are uncommon in Garden City, but bud bugs still find their way into homes in the area.
How Our Garden City Pest Control Professionals Can Help
The above pests are enough to give someone the creepy crawlies. The mere mention of pests can strike fear into the hearts of homeowners, but when they see them in the home, it is even worse. Our Garden City pest control professionals understand this and are dedicated to helping with your problem. When working with us, we will:
- Perform a full inspection to identify all areas that are infested
- Identify the type of pest you are dealing with so we know how to combat the problem.
- Make recommendations that are unique to your home and situation.
- Apply treatment that is not only effective but that will keep you and your family safe.
If you have a pest problem, do not waste time and money trying to deal with it alone. At Barrier Pest Control, our Garden City pest control professionals can quickly eliminate your problem so your home can be your castle again. Call us today at 208-463-4533 or contact us online to get help.
Our Customers Love Us! See What They Are Saying.
I recently decided to use Barrier Lawn and Pest services as I became acquainted with their services through my place of work. The initial contact with Mike Dean was personable and informative. Scheduling of the service was also very accommodating as I was not given a 2-4 hour window as I had experienced with other companies. The technician arrived on time and reviewed the service with my wife before beginning. Upon completion, my wife was given the company's contact information in case we had any future questions. This experience was very pleasant and we would recommend Barrier's services to any friend or neighbor.View All Testimonials
This Month's Featured Pest
Cat Faced Spider
The Cat-Face Spider is an Orb Weaver, as their intricate webs suggest. The Cat-Face Spider tends to make its webs near lights and corners along the outside buildings. Full-grown females are large and have a combination of odd projections on the abdomen and dark indentation markings that some say resemble the ears and eyes of a cat. Despite their large size and bizarre appearance, Cat-Face Spiders are not venomous. It has been our experience that homes close to the Snake or Boise River have more issues with these feline-faced spiders.
As with most other spiders, regular pest control treatments and exclusion methods are essential to keeping the Cat-Face Spider off and out of your home.
Give Us A Shot!
Because of who we are, our history, our commitment to the future, our guarantee, and the specific standards that we hold ourselves to, we are confident that you will want to do business with us. Give us a call at (208) 463-4533 to request a quote! We are open Monday through Friday, 8 AM – 5 PM.
Service Area (Southwest Idaho)
Our pest control services are also available in Boise, Garden City, Eagle, Emmett, Meridian, Kuna, Nampa, Melba, Middleton, Star, Marsing, Homedale, Caldwell and Mountain Home.